I had a more traditional bio on my last website, but it was getting kind of stale after three and a half years. So instead of doing more of the same, here are 19 random facts about me:
- Born in Manhattan, to an Israeli immigrant and a native New Yorker.
- Old enough to have seen Star Wars in theaters.
- Spent many years working as a layout/production artist for corporate marketing departments. It’s just as riveting as it sounds.
- I’ve lived in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Boston, San Francisco, central Maine, Hollywood, Westwood, and Glendale, California. I now reside in Gilbert, Arizona, with a whole family of Prices, plus two cats and a dog.
- The dog will occasionally eat the cats’ poop out of the litter box. This isn’t a fact about me. I just still can’t get over it.
- Nancy and I aren’t married. Our shared last name is pure wacky coincidence.
- We met when she tweeted me about how much she enjoyed The Flight of the Silvers. Then I moved in with her. That’s how much I like compliments.
- Though I’m primarily a sci-fi writer, my first novel is about as un-science-fictiony as you can possibly get. The only thing Slick has in common with the Silvers books are my weird sense of humor and an overreliance on adjectives.
- My favorite part about writing Silvers? The worldbuilding. Holy crap, is that fun.
- My literary agent is actually a Hollywood agent. I hooked up with him during my screenwriting days and he’s stuck with me ever since. He’s awesome.
- The Flight of the Silvers and The Song of the Orphans were sold to Penguin/Blue Rider Press as a two-book deal. We just recently negotiated the sale of The War of the Givens, the third and final book in the series. Yay!
- I’m hard at work on The War of the Givens, but I’m already having daydreams about the novel after that. All I can tell you is that it’ll be a standalone story, it’ll take place in the near future, and it won’t have any timebending shenanigans.
- Though my books are only marginally political, I am an unabashed liberal SJW snowflake in real life.
- My favorite TV shows of all time are The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, and Firefly. I know this makes me a walking cliché.
- Favorite Spielberg movie: Empire of the Sun. If you can get through that ending without crying, then you are dead inside. Dead!
- I’m on Twitter and Facebook, but I don’t tend to post much on the latter. Facebook has a tendency to give my soul a headache.
- I had a big cancer drama ten years ago and would not recommend the experience. The only thing worse than chemotherapy was fighting with my insurance company on a daily basis. Oy.
- On the upside, my illness gave me new perspective, much of which is reflected in Silvers. The whole series is about time and the many different ways we handle our limited amount of it.
- I love hearing from readers, whether they’re new fans or constructive critics. If you happen to e-mail me at just the right time, I might work your name into my latest novel-in-progress. It’s been known to happen on occasion.
Those of you looking to learn more about my writing process, for whatever crazy reason, can check out my FAQ.